The Parade was good as far as parades go. No flatbeds with people waving on them, pretty cool mechanical displays. We got some good video footage that we will probably never watch again but we got it. After the parade we stopped by St Patrick's Cathedral and walked around the grounds. In good Irish tradition we went from there directly to a pub (the first one we went to was in some chick flick that Heather will have to tell you about).
We did find a cool locals pub called Devitts. It was in Dublin but the folks inside said it was a Wexford pub since everyone there was from Wexford. In fact on the television they had the Gaelic football game on that was between Dublin and some other town I can't pronounce let alone spell. I wasn't sure what I was watching at first was it Rugby? Soccer? Football? so I asked an older regular behind me. He explained the game using feching every other word (it was great). He then told me what teams were playing and when he said one was Dublin I said "so I'm guessing that's who we're rooting for". He said "no, da utter teams wearing da blue ahn white and dat's Wexferd's colors, so no were net rootin fer feching Dooblin." he laughed and slapped me on the back. He was a great guy really nice and willing to help. He taught us a toast in Irish "Sloinka!" (spelling?) it means "good health". He also pointed us to a great little Spanish restaurant that had salsa music playing with live musicians. I even got to play with them.
We then went to a few pubs in the Temple Bar it was crazy and a lot of fun. Every pub was body to body packed and the beer was really flowing. The people were all out to have a good time and so it was really pleasant, I didn't see one fight. I had one Irish local ask me where we were from, when I said the States, he pointed to a group of folks and said "Da're British! watch out fer dem!" elbowed me and winked. Then he cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled "Wankers!" at them and nudged me again and laughed. He said some other things I couldn't understand so I just nodded and smiled.
We did find a Pub/Brewery that had a good band playing called Sliotar (it's the ball used in Hurling). They were a really good trio.
So we finally ended up at a locals pub called "Lord's something or other pub" where the bartender would shush you if you got too loud (and no Heather didnt get shushed). Then we had one more at the Brazen Head and off to the apartment.
Well that's all I got I will have to write about going to Guinness next time
-Greg
2 comments:
Writing about 410b6c exclusions and all I can think about is having a beer with you guys! More pictures! Catherine
Slianta [Slan cha] I'm surprised you fared so well with Heather telling everyone to Kiss her arse! Check out Carrolls @ corner of O'Connel St. Bridge.
Post a Comment